visions of green

aaron mcmanus - green life, real estate, and everything in between

Monday, May 01, 2006

greentopia

i am going to write a story, about people going through their lives - they are "normal" -they work in offices, they eat at chipotle, they go to the movies, they go to bars, they drive cars, they sleep around a bit, occasionally they catch STDs. One day they sense that a general sense of dissatisfaction is in their hearts - all of a sudden, they just really aren't feeling it anymore. They keep going through the motions, they keep on about their lives. It's getting harder and harder each day. They feel themselves coming closer and closer to snapping. They look around, and they see a system that they can't participate with. They see people, endless drones, unaware. They see a system so corrupt it is collapsing in on itself, but no one else sees it, because they're still trapped in their lives. They are all slowly waking up, and looking around.

Changes begin to happen. A lot of them move, quit their jobs. Divorce goes up. New religious leaders are springing up everywhere, and spirituality is being sold on every street corner. War rages on across the world, and the story on the television doesn't mesh with what was said 15 minutes before, never mind 15 months ago. In the midst of all of this, odd patterns begin to emerge. Strange coincidences become more frequent. Sentences get finished more quickly.

One day, people started walking. They're not sure of exactly how it started, but one person emailed another asking if she wouldn't like to take a walk with her, and he said yes... and the next thing they knew, it had caught on. Now every day, regardless of what activity is taking place, everyone stops at 6:59, looks at the clock, and turns the tivo on to pause the television. He puts down the knife, leaving the broccoli partially chopped. She saves her documents - work will continue upon her return. A collective agreement has been reached - a walk outside allows them all to connect. They see each other, smiling is enough for some, others pause to talk.

This walk will save it all, in the story - it allows people to assess each other, and to realize that they're all equal. It's a pretty dumb idea, actually. It's really damned cheesy.

Really, I'm not going to write that story. I have to write what I know, and what I know is about bullshit. I live a life where I walk around yackking all day about systems I don't believe in - I don't believe that I am living a sustainable life, and I want to change it. I am finding a way to merge my values and my life, but it has been a struggle. I have had to let go of a great many vices, and I have a great many to go. It has been a struggle, and I want it to stop. I am going to put out the good vibe, that I will allow my spiritual growth and transcendence to become easy.

Life is only as hard as we make it. I want to tell a story about people who realize that one day. They let go of the relentless pursuit of money. They step out of the rat race. I want that to be me. I've been trying to straddle, I've been yawning across the chasm between this materialistic whorish society and the peace and bliss of nature in all its cyclic eternity. I've got to pick a side, and I'm resisting that. I want to bring peace to the city. I want to connect this city back to nature. I want to write the story of the people making it happen, I want to write about how each building is connected to a dream. I want to write the story of this building coming to be. I want to write about greentopia, where there is a sense of community being actively sought after by people coming out of the rat race. These are people who have money, too - for them this life has been effortless - and they struggle only with the guilt of being able to easily get what they want. Realizing all the time how harsh a reality that has created in their wake is a constant sharp pain in the abdomen, or perhaps directly behind the right shoulder blade a knife is slowly drawn out. A dull one.

from this great pain, life grows. from the darkest soil grows the richest fruit - so it is with stories. the valley must be deep for the crossing to be a challenge - rarely is a warrior made by accomplishing nothing. this is the story that I want to tell.

Somehow, I want the two to merge. I want this life that I've seen - so much pain, so much suffering, so much beauty, all in the midst of each other... I want to create the garden of eden on earth, in this story. I want to show the vision becoming a reality. I want to show how simple small changes really can make the world a whole different place. I want to show it happening for everyone, not just the rich. That's the hard part. Maybe I don't have to write about the economics of it all, but I want it to be feasible. It's centered around the concept of critical mass - and I just have to write the story about what happens when enough people wake up and do something about it. Then, to remind themselves, they walk each night. That would be a good ending, I think. Walking to remember. Hmmm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home